What we tell ourselves daily really does matter. We listen to and believe our self-talk. This inner voice becomes our own self-fulfilling prophecy. I define self-fulfilling prophecy as what happens in our lives that is influenced (positively or negatively) by our thinking. Keeping this definition in mind; a limiting belief can be a mindset challenge.
What is a limiting belief? This is a perception one has about themselves that is restrictive. The beliefs can be false ideas that one tells themselves and can cause negative results. Some examples are:
- Too young or too old
- Out of time or don’t have enough time
- Not smart enough, good enough, or capable
Self-limiting beliefs are assumptions that hold us back from achieving what we want to accomplish. They keep us from reaching our goals and dreams.
The idea is to be aware of ones limiting beliefs. It’s important to be proactive about them instead of letting them control one’s life. The process can look like this:
- Identify your limiting beliefs. What self-talk do you say to yourself and believe that could be holding you back?
- Write down these beliefs to clarify them in your mind.
- Think about what you want to achieve and what you should be saying to yourself instead. Change the limiting belief into positive self-talk. Throw the limiting belief away!
- Write the new positive self-talk down and stick it on your mirror.
- It is too late in my life to get leaner and stronger.
- I am too old to lift weights and I really don’t know where to start.
- I want to reduce my body fat %. I will seek help to learn to lift effectively so I can become stronger, leaner, and stay fit as I age.
- I am tired and can’t get off the couch
- I sit too much, and I don’t walk around the block
- I WILL walk around the block 3 times a week. I will write it on my calendar and ask my friend to join me.
Take time to be proactive. Do not let limiting beliefs derail your dreams. As with many things in life, ask for help. A mentor can support you and help with accountability. You never need to go it alone. Since a limiting belief can be a mindset challenge, prepare now for how you will counteract them.
2 thoughts on “A Limiting Belief Can be a Mindset Challenge”
Well done. Well written! I just need to schedule.
Thanks for the kind words! Let me know if I can help 💕