I am writing these thoughts after I sat in my office for 7 hours on a zoom conference call. I remind myself that too much sitting can harm your well-being. Lack of movement and a sedentary lifestyle can cause:
- Increase blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- Obesity, excessive fat at the waist
- Heart disease, diabetes or other health conditions
Recently, I was getting caught up with a dear friend. We had not seen each other in a couple of weeks and had lots of catching up to do. We talked for about 2 ½ hours non- stop! Have you ever caught up with someone like that? Before the second hour was up however, we got up, kept talking, and took a walk outside. Just think of the miles we would have covered if we had walked the entire time!
The American Heart Association recommends getting about 30 min a day of moderate exercise. Moderate exercise is defined as breaking a sweat.
Here are a few easy things to do to cut down sitting time:
- After sitting for 20-30 min, stand for the same amount of time
- Do your 30 min of cardio at least 5 days a week
- Create the habit of standing while using your phone
- Take the stairs vs elevator where you can
- Walk around your work area at least once an hour
- Take that brisk walk around the neighborhood
- Park far from the door, have a longer walk to your destination
Are you concerned about too much sitting? Being mindful about how much you are sitting is half the battle. Fitness is all about your mindset. Then, all you have to do is take a walk around the block. I think I will go do that right now!
One thought on “Too Much sitting”