I have food cravings and am hungry between meals some days. Sometimes dealing with my hunger is hard and sometimes it is easy to handle. I try to make healthy food choices and probably do it about 80% of the time. Here are a few strategies that I use to deal with my hunger between meals.
- Drink water- when you think you are hungry or have cravings, drink 8 or more ounces of water and wait 30 min to see if things have changed
- Brush your teeth-I don’t like to eat after brushing my teeth so brushing helps me stay on track between meals and especially after dinner
- Find an activity-if I am busy, I usually forget about food for a while. Look for an activity to keep you focused on other things
- Plan snacks- I plan and take healthy snacks with me to eat between meals. Hummus, trail mix, nuts, fruit, and vegetables are some of my go to items. My Blog, I’m Hungry, What Should I Eat? will give you some other go to food ideas
- Plan protein and healthy fats as part of each meal. They not only are good meal choices but also help to keep you full between meals.
These are some of the tactics that I use when I am hungry between meals. What are some strategies or methods that work for you? I am always looking for more ideas!