The refrigerator is a great place to find snacks. When I am hungry, I check there first instead of in the cabinets. My thinking is that the refrigerator contains healthier options more often than cabinets. There are many snacks that I keep on hand that are easy and satisfying. It takes little prep and planning, and I am happy to have them as options when my stomach starts to growl. Here is a list of some refrigerator snacks to have on hand.
- Hardboiled Eggs
- Eggs are packed with protein which can help you feel fuller longer. Once you boil a half dozen or more at the start of the week, then you can peel and eat in no time. Mix in some avocado for extra flavor.
- Veggies and Hummus
- Hummus is a great source of protein and healthy fats. It is creamy and blends well with vegetables. Cut or buy pre-cut veggies such as carrots, celery, snap peas, cauliflower to be ready for the week.
- Fruit and nut butter
- There are many combinations you can try. Apples and almond butter, banana and peanut butter are some common ones. Adding nuts with the fruit helps to keep you full because of the nuts’ protein and healthy fats. Watch portion size with the nut butter and look for added sugars and trans fats on the label.
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Greek yogurt is a great snack because it can improve bone health, includes calcium and protein. Plain Greek Yogurt is my only choice for yogurt because it has fewer grams of sugar then other yogurts. Read labels. Some fruit yogurts can contain up to 24 grams of sugar in the little container. Add berries, ground flax seed, and a few nuts to improve the flavor.
- Cheese and Crackers
- This snack is easy to prepare and pack, especially with some of the prepackaged cheeses. Eat with whole-grain crackers.